Thursday, April 28, 2005

Corporate Repentance II

When rethinking the last time I wrote, I realized an essential element that I had thought about concerning Deut. 21. Along with corporate responsibility in sinful actions is the elimination of the "us and them" mentality.

I tend to look down on people for their actions, and I doubt that I'm the only one. There are people in our society who have committed sins for which they will never be forgiven. In Old Testament language, they would be considered the people who live "outside the camp." Rapists, murderers and wife abusers come to mind specifically. Deut. 21 calls us to see the log in our own eye, rather than standing as perfect accuser towards these marginalized peoples.

We cannot come into judgment on these people without furthering the process of sinfulness in our world. This is how Volf concludes Exclusion and Embrace, pointing out that our violence only furthers violence, and that only forgiveness and God's judgment (not our own) can bring about the solution.

When it comes down to it, are you really better than these people? If you have not harvested bitterness, anger, jealousy or lust towards another person, please step-up and grab your stone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, are you the one they call "Monkey"? I heard a rumor about that. I wish you wouldn't use such big words. They hurt my medulla oblongata.