Friday, May 30, 2008

Kim and Kipling

The other day I randomly picked up Rudyard's Kiplings somewhat famous book Kim. First of all, my copy happens to be an amazing hardback from 1901, with some beautiful artwork included within it and a very extraordinary cover. I bought it at a book sale for 25 cents a few years ago.

The story, at least 100 pages in, is about a young Indian boy named Kim who decides to join a Tibetan monk/yogi who is traveling through India on a pilgrimage of sorts. I am really, truly enjoying the story. Beyond the story itself, here are some of the things I have been thinking about as I read:
  1. Kipling doesn't seem as racist as I had been told he was through the years. In fact, he seems far ahead of his time. There have hardly been any white characters at all!
  2. It's so cool to see somebody writing about Tibetans at a time when few had heard or likely even cared about Tibet. There were no Brad Pitt movies about it yet, or Free Tibet stickers on the backs of cars. I can't help but think somebody like Kipling did a lot to open the eyes of people in the West to how vast our world really is.
  3. There is an amazing sort of plurality in Kipling's India. Muslims and Hindus worship at the same shrines, and everybody is anxious to learn from a Tibetan holy man; especially the religious leaders! I'm fascinated by this, especially knowing how tensions have been high there for a number of years where divisions lie along religious grounds.
  4. Last night an old friend was telling me how they are planning to go to India on a religious pilgrimage of sorts and it made me think of The Brothers K and The Darjeeling Limited, both of which bring up a lot of questions about spiritual seeking in India. I wonder if this book will do the same? I wonder what my friend will discover? I wonder what the Beatles really discovered when they went there?
I'll try to let you know what I think of the book when I finish... Maybe I'll read all the Mowgli stories afterwards.

Peace,
Matt

3 comments:

Kurt Ingram said...

It is weird what a Spiritual center India is in so many people's journeys. I always wonder if there is a deeper geographical relationship to mystical spiritual experiences and if so why. Why are there some places where people almost unwillinly get swept away? Why are there some places where people are just quieted and find peace? Why are there some places where all people seem to find a sense of child like wonder and pleasure? Maybe we need to go and see, maybe India is that final thing that brings the radical shifts in our lives that sets free the Kingdom.

Anonymous said...

Matt. I just started a blog and have been cruising around, reading, finding people I know, etc. I have seen Kim on our family room book shelf for years and years and always had a slight urge to pick it up but never have. Ours is a very old copy, and by the time I grew out of my "allergic to old things stage" I had forgotten about it entirely. You make me want to read it.
Also, The Darjeeling Limited... Was that a book before it was a movie? I watched it when I was on drugs I think (wisdom teeth surgery pain killers) so it was really extra weird.

OliviaKristine said...

Hi again.. I'm trying to figure out how to send you a link to my blog.. hhmmm... I'll just write it here, too...www.olivialiving.blogspot.com
Have a good one!!