Sunday, May 04, 2008

Martinson Church Tour '08

Last Sunday Effie and I began our Church Tour '08. I decided just now (without consulting her first) that we needed to call it a tour, so it felt like we were cool rock stars rather than nerdy Christians. Anyways, for two Sundays in a row we have gone to church services in places that are not "our home church" as people would say, and it has been an thought-provoking experience already. Here's what I am discovering so far:
  • I love getting up in front of people and talking, but am annoyed when I have to listen to somebody else do it. What kind of messed-up stuff does this say about me? Honestly, I just want to push back a little when other people are talking, to ask questions, throw in my two cents, disagree, or whatever. But when I'm stuck in a seat as a listener, I get frustrated. Worst of all is that this is partly for my own learning, and partly me and my ego wanting attention. Sad, huh?
  • I am realizing that there is probably no church group that I agree with 100% theologically. Does this say something bad about me? About them? Or am I supposed to pull something else entirely from all of this? Or do theological opinions really even matter that much?
  • I like being anonymous. I slip in, talk to a few friends, and slip out, without having any responsibility or conversations with people who corner me and want to talk about nothing for 20 minutes. This is a horrible thing to say, but I'm being honest at least.
  • I really have no clue what the point of a Sunday gathering is! I am not bashing it, or even disagreeing with it, but honestly I am just kind of at a loss on the whole subject. I've heard the arguments (have taught them a million times), but am still a bit confused on all of this stuff.
I'll try to start giving weekly Church Tour updates, but no promises. And no, I will not be giving some sort of church review like somebody does for restraunts or movies. That is just wrong. This is more for me to explore my own experience and shifting views of Church as I visit different expressions of the Church throughout Whatcom County.

Oh, and PS, today I visited Ron's church (aka, the Brown Kid) and had some fun talking with him and a few other old friends. And last week we went to Oikos church, which was pretty cool, but is also an Acts 29 church, so I have a feeling I will not be calling it home.

Peace,
Matt

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the latest Relevant magazine there is an article about a church hopper that is an interesting read.

Anonymous said...

consume on, consumer. haha,

Promise me one thing. Just don't be that guy. You know, the one who says, "What is the point of church on sunday? the Bible says 'where three or more' right? We are having church in this pub right now!" Seriously, don't be that guy.

Anonymous said...

(smirks) lubya ron and still haven't met ya yet. So I'm guessing see you this Sunday? If so, it's a 1pm and not 5.

Anonymous said...

sorry, the last 2 sentences were directed @ Matt..

Chaunce said...

I've been going to a Mennonite church lately. I think I'm about 2 weeks from deciding to be a mennonite forever.

Anonymous said...

hey Matt...it was good meeting you guys when you visited. so it sounds like being affiliated with A29 was a deal-breaker for you guys...how so?

Matt Martinson said...

Pete,
I wouldn't say that the A29 affiliation is a "deal-breaker. But it is a deal-challenger. I'm just not a big fan of the founding church or its theology. There's a lot there I find hard to stomache, but I'm trying to be more positive in my posts, so we'll just keep it at that. On the other hand, I felt very welcomed when I came to Oikos, and was glad to see a large amount of old and newer friends of mine attending. I enjoyed your message and think you guys are doing awesome stuff in B'ham.

Chauncy,
Glad you've seen the Mennonite light my friend.

Wayne,
I keep finding my Sunday afternoons busy, but soon my friend. Soon.

Ron,
I am an American, which equals consumer. Yuck.

Justin,
I'll check it out.