Monday, April 14, 2008

Matt 3.0

[Imagine The Final Countdown playing right now, with Gob Bluth moonwalking across your computer screen...]

Yes folks, this is my last week working as a youth pastor. Do I have a job lined up for after this week? No. Am I concerned about that? Only occassionally. Am I excited? Yes. Am I sad to be leaving my students? Most definitely.

My plan is this... I am taking 10 whole days off to do whatever I want. I will spend time with my wife and daughter. I will go hiking and cycling. I will read and write. I will pray. I will sleep. I will (hopefully) recover from years of being mega-churched (yes I made a noun into a verb, be impressed).

For the future, I am looking into a job running heavy machinery, which is what I used to do. Honestly, it sounds a lot more rewarding to me right now than working in a church for one more day. Also, my wife and I are looking into the possibility of me going back to school for another Master's degree, this time in English Lit. So just so you know, it is a possibility. But of course, only a fool counts on any of his own plans. I will explore options, take some leaps, and try to trust God with Matt 3.0 (as in, I'm turning 30 and leaving a career on the same day, so I am moving into a new, different life).

But for now I have to try to finish strong. I'll tell you, it is a strange feeling to be leaving. I am trying to tie up loose ends, set volunteers up for success, meet with people one last time and clean out my office. It's a lot! But it is good. Bring on that third decade, I ain't scared!

Peace,
Matt

5 comments:

n a o m i said...

Hey so, since you're not doing anything, Justin and I think you should attend the faith and writing conference this Thursday at Calvin College, MI.

You know, out with the old (busy-ness), in with the new. ;-)

Matt Martinson said...

the classic irony of life: too busy or too broke...

Anonymous said...

Eng lit.. @ WWU? There's a few folks in our church pursuing their Masters for that.
3.0; I look at my life and wonder what version I am myself. I'm definitely not what I started out to be. I guess I'm at a similar place...

Anonymous said...

Matt 3.0-
You rule. God is going to do amazing things with you. Especially on friday when we go to the Death Cab show.

peace,
ron

Anonymous said...

matt, i just came across your blog and i don't know you, but i think i know what you're feeling - and i'm all for you making this leap. i worked in organized religion for about ten years (after ten years before that as an english teacher!) and i got out before my soul died. i am now one of the pastors in a very disorganized faith community, and i write, and hang out with my family, and read, and nap.

my want for you is that you know that this is right where you're supposed to be. go man go.