Thursday, January 03, 2008

Unorganized Goals For '08

I've never been one to give a rip about New Year resolutions, or really making resolutions at all. But coming into 2008 I realized I had some goals in my head and decided this morning that I would write them out. Voicing my goals aloud helps me to actually work towards them, which is a good thing (thanks Martha). So, in no particular order, here they are:
  • Ride my bike to work at least four times per week. I did it this week. It would be five, but on Sundays I work until after 9pm, which is not a fun time to ride your bike, especially when you don't have any sort of light.
  • Run 30 miles on April 17th. That is the day I turn 30, and I want to run one mile for every year. It's kinda crazy, I know, but I hate aging and like running.
  • Finish reading Old Testament Theology and Truth and Method. Both of these massive books have dogged me for years, and I'm more than half-way through both. This is the year I'd like to finish reading both books.
  • Write more. That includes blogging, but also, and more importantly, articles and essays that I would like to try to start submitting to different magazines/journals to see if I can get them published.
  • Stop wussing out. I don't confront people when I should, whether it is a point of debate or an actual argument, I need to speak my mind in the real world and not just on the web. I was driving the other day and heard Tom Petty's song, I Won't Back Down, and realized that that is the kind of person I want to be, but have not been up to this point.
  • Start living out my convictions. My last blog entry was about this, so you can look at that for more info. I am passionate about justice and mercy and peace, but have been lazy about living these things out in the past two years.
  • Eat better. I'm not getting any younger, and I consume a lot of sugar, beer, coffee, ice cream, etc. Lo and behold, I'm also not getting any lighter. This isn't some massive diet plan, but just a desire to be smarter about what I eat, and better about stopping before I want to vomit.
  • Stop taking work problems home with me. A little thing goes wrong at work and I go home unable to talk or sleep or eat. It's lame and has to stop.
  • Be a better friend. I like my friends and typically wait for them to call me and make plans with me. That is not really what a friend does. I want to call more often, make plans more often, and ask better questions about their lives.
  • Spend more time in nature.
  • Participate in some organized bike rides and runs around Bellingham and even the great PNW. Oh boy, I'm going to regret that one.

There ya go. They've been voiced aloud.

Matt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have stopped wussing out for a long time. I posted a while ago about you talking to someone about the Americanized Christmas Shizz-Nazz. That was more about seeing people as equals not about confronting them (it was probably more for me then you actually) I have had many rants this Christmas...but...anways...I think your goal of not wussing out has been pretty close to met lately.
As always the anonymous....potts