Friday, October 05, 2007

Book Review: The Religious Roots of Rebellion

I began Phillip Berryman's The Religious Roots of Rebellion a very long time ago, but only recently finished. For the past few years, thanks no doubt to my friend Kelly, I have become very interested in Central American history. I also have become fascinated, like so many others before me, with liberation theology. Berryman give a detailed history of three of the most turbulent countries in the region and shows how both the actions and the thinking of Christians in these countries changed as the peoples situation worsened.

Berryman's goal is to explain how it is that Christians began to play significant roles in Marxist-led, Central American revolutions, and the theology that has formed around these situations.

The three countries discussed in detail are Nicaragua, El Salvador and Guatemala. The writing in these sections is far from gripping, but the content makes up for the style. If you are at all like me and feel robbed because of poor history classes growing up, this type of book will make up for much. Berryman writes detailed histories of class struggle and repression in all three countries. So often the case is one in which a wealthy minority rule the country, imposing a right wing dictatorship. The people rise up to fight, but it is a long, hard battle, especially when the government and its troops are supported by U.S. money and guns (and even CIA helicopters!). I am not really sure how anybody could read this book and still think highly of Ronald Reagan's presidency.

I had read a little about El Salvador and Guatemala, but this history is specifically focused on the 20th century and spends much time viewing it through a Christian (Catholic, specifically) lens. I found this approach fascinating and eye-opening. It gave a context for liberation theology that I never had before. In that sense, then, I wish all students who read or are in interested in liberation theology would take the time to read this book or one like it. I fear that too often we are merely having our ears tickled if we cannot even know why we are reading a fascinating book of theology (and yes, I am pointing the finger at myself first in this comment).

After producing these histories, as well as giving a more detailed account of Christians in Sandinista Nicaragua, Berryman goes into the theological side of his history. To be honest, I had a much harder time agreeing with this half of the book. Berryman believes that there are times when a democracy is not best, but instead a unmovable leader who can make the tough choices. Although I see where he is coming from, absolute power never seems to work out very well, historically speaking. He also chooses to write about violence in the revolutions, something that is often not discussed, he claims, by liberation theologians. His claim is that violence by the people, for the sake of the people and their freedom, is sometimes necessary. I will not try to pretend that I don't come into this biased, but my questions remain the same as usual; doesn't that put them on the same plane as their oppressors? Are you really capable of loving your enemies, even as you put a bullet through them?

The book goes on to its last two chapters, Becoming the Church of the Poor and The God of Life. God being a God of life rings true to me, being the Moltmann fan that I am. Being the church of the poor also seems great, but I worry that sometimes that gets taken too far. Liberation theology has the ability to go too far towards the poor, in that it alienates others rather than welcoming the wealthy and middle class into its struggle. After all, invitation and acceptance are also markers of the Church.

This book was far from perfect. I often found myself question Berryman's arguements and theology. I also sometimes found his attempts at being a white, American, male liberation theologian questionable. Nonetheless, the book as a whole was well worth the time to learn some detailed history of Central America and to finally gain a bit of framework for where liberation theology comes from in the first place. I highly recommend this book.

Peace,
Matt

No comments: