Thursday, February 22, 2007

Ferndale vs. Wal Mart

For any readers who don't actually know me, I live in the small Northwest town of Ferndale. It is laid back, growing fairly quickly with housing developments, condos, and apartments springing up everywhere, and is in most ways an average town/small city. My wife and I moved here about 18 months ago, thanks to Rob at ADD Theology, and have loved it. We go for walks through town, have local teens over, and are getting to know our neighbors and our community. For the first time in my life I'm beginning to understand what it means to have a heart for where you live and to have a desire to see the gospel birthed in new ways in your local context. I actually care!

And as of this morning, I am very proud of my town. It is not average. David is taking on Goliath. Last night our council voted to stop large stores from building in Ferndale, at least temporarily. This decision is a blatant manuever to stop Wal Mart from moving into town after having it's superstore blocked in Bellingham. It's not permanent, which means there is still work to be done, but I am proud of my town nonetheless.

Lately I've been reading some books that speak into Wal Mart and globalization and all of the issues that come along with these phenomena. Specifically The Foucault Reader, The World is Flat, and The Condition of Postmodernity each speak into this subject matter in very different ways. And each misses many big points as well. The issue, though, is money. It's all about money. Capitalism is like a fire; it has to consume more and more. Globalization is an obvious next step for it as capitalism as it seeks to expand, find cheap labor, and larger markets. And technology is needed for this as well. But nobody seems to really think about what this is doing to our world, our country, our faith, or different cultures and societies.

We are completely self-destructive. We are destroying the earth. We are using others for our advantage. We are abusing ourselves mentally and physically to "get ahead." We are defined as "consumers" rather than contributers. We have no moral ground to stand on. We are quitely watching the gap between rich and poor grow larger and larger. We are violent in blatant and subtle ways.

It is lent. Maybe it's time to try a new way of living. Ferndale made a small step that way. What steps will you take? What do you need to repent of this season? What social sins do we need to take ownership of together?

Peace,
Matt

6 comments:

justin said...

"We are defined as 'consumers' rather than contributers." nice.

I like the size of Ferndale as is. Now they just need to clean up some of the drug problems... we had two cop cars in our parking lot yesterday dealing with some dealers. That's what my source on the street tells me at least.

Kurt Ingram said...

I keep thinking of what Walsh said the other night about opression as the necessary result of greed, people want to make money, but in our system to make money is to take money, and we don't stop to think about who is on the loosing end of our great deals and comfortable life. I am one of those people and at some point just being disatisfied with the system is not enough. How do we embody the message of Amos and let justice flow out to the world from us, how do we reimagine that in a world that has surrendered to the globalization of a civilization that sure seems opressive and destructive. But what the frick do i know

Sam Middlebrook said...

What I think will happen is that Ferndale will eventually build a Super Wal-Mart.

The issue is not about building size or environmental impact. The issue is that people don't like Wal-Mart. No one raised as much as a whisper when Fred Meyer Stores built a 95,000 sf complex in north Bham.

If our church decided to build a bigger building so that more people could be invited to meet Jesus in our midst, I don't think we'd get the same flack.

I don't buy the environmental impact issue as the main motivator. I don't buy traffic studies as the motivator.

Wal-Mart is the ultimate end on the "successful" side of a free-enterprise culture, and I honestly am baffled at why people in our region don't see the double standard in protesting Wal-Mart while engaging in other acts of consumerism.

Maybe I'm tired and writing when I shouldn't, but I don't see anything about social justice in standing against Wal-Mart.

Sam Middlebrook said...

(three hours later)

I think I spoke poorly, and what I should have said was...

Wal-Mart is a poor target to focus protest or objection. It's focusing on an institution instead of on people.

I'll expand more later. Honestly, Matt, I apologize for my previous post. I should never write unless it's early morning, which is the only time I have a semi-functioning brain.

Anonymous said...

No need to apologize Sam. I think you have a good point. My bigger frustration isn't Wal Mart as much as it is that people choose to shop at Wal Mart and support it. Sometimes, honestly, it just seems easier to block a building than convince people to give a crap. In other words, blocking a building is like giving a pain killer to somebody rather than figuring out and fixing what is causing the pain.

I really do despise Wal Mart, but more than that I despise consumerism and the refusal of all of us to look at where our possessions come from and choose to do something about it.

And you are definitely right about Wal Mart being the definition of success in our free-enterprise world. It seems like the guiding, "invisible hand" or capitalism doesn't really work. And nobody really gives a rip...

Anyways, I like what you said and am glad you added that. It helps me realize I need to clarify some things when I write...I'm embarassed to say how little time I often put into a post. Might need to work on that...

P.T. Peterson said...

Hey, dude. Long time no type. Just hopped on IncOrt for the first in a long while and appreciated this post (while cheering the Fine Folks of Ferndale). Still working for Big Brethren? Later!

PTP