Thursday, February 15, 2007

Books from the Thrift Store

I went to the Goodwill and Value Village yesterday and there were more good books than I am used to seeing. So, since I am being cheap financially but not necessarily in any other way, I spent a $17 a got a nice stack of great books. Here's what I bought:

  1. The World is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman. Although I've heard mixed reviews, I've been wanting to read it since the book first came out, but didn't want to spend $30. What he's talking about is important, and I am continually realizing how ignorant I am in the area of globalization. This will be a help in that area.
  2. Daniel Quinn's Ishmael. I read this book a few years ago and consider it one of my top 10 favorites of all time. I wanted a copy of my own, and yesterday it happened.
  3. Generation X by Douglas Coupland. I've never read this but appreciate Coupland, who will be remembered as a literary icon for our time.
  4. Meditations from Dorothy Day. Only a fool would pass up a Dorothy Day book.
  5. Alister McGrath's The Christian Theology Reader. Just in case I feel like sitting down and reading 700 pages of the history of theology...
  6. Gerhard Von Rad: Makers of the Modern Theological Mind by James L. Crenshaw. What can I say... I like Von Rad and I think this will be the nice introduction to his work that I was never given before.

So there it is. More fun for me.

Peace,

Matt

No comments: