Thursday, May 25, 2006

St. John of the Cross




















I read this the other day in the poems of St. John of the Cross and for some reason these few lines really stuck out to me. Enjoy!


I gave my soul to him
and all the things I owned were his:
I have no flock to tend
nor any other trade
and my one ministry is love.

If I'm no longer seen
following sheep about the hills
say that I am lost, that
wandering in love I let
myself be lost and then was won.


Peace,
Matt

Currently Reading: The Poems of St. John of the Cross (obviously), though I have a different translation than the one linked here (bought it at a thriftstore, not surprising if you know me at all). I'm still waiting very impatiently for my used copy of Gerhard Von Rad's Old Testament Theology to show up in the mail. It's gonna be great!

1 comment:

Kurt Ingram said...

why does that poem seem more appealing than any church or ministry job i have ever heard of. Can we live as lost wanderers, piligramiging in the beautiful darkness of God.