Thursday, February 23, 2006

End of my rope...

Reasons why my week has left me at the end of my rope:

1. My wife has left me. She is on vacation for the week in Kaui (spelling?), while I linger in the nastiness of a typical Bellingham February.

2. I have been working ~75 hours a week for the past three weeks, and this week is the hardest yet.

3. I never dreamed of seeing teenagers have to go through so much garbage, let alone having myself stuck in the mix constantly. The things I've been a part of this week are absolutely gut-wrenching.

4. We have an all-nighter this Friday/Saturday for the 30 Hour Famine. Because of all the counseling, house-calls, court appointments, etc I've made this week, I can only work on this stuff after ~5 each day. 12 hour days seem to be the minimum.

5. We are doing an experiential walk through the prophets this Sunday night, inspired by Jonny Baker, which will be amazing, though I have no idea when I'll have the time to put it together.

6. I lost the ability to blog. It was terrible. I didn't really know how much I enjoyed this until I lost it. Luckily, the computer moron was able to fix the problem and I'm back!

I cannot even begin to say how stressed, tired, and overworked I am. Only a fool would choose to go into youth ministry.

Peace,
Matt

Currently Reading: Holy crap, this is the one cool thing from this week. I'm reading Brian McLaren's new book, The Secret Message of Jesus, which won't be released until March, but I got myself a FREE, ADVANCED copy of it! Maybe I'm not supposed to say that though... Anyway, the deal is that I can't write a review of it yet, so you'll just have to wait. Oh, I also just read Affluenza, which is a life-changing book (and I don't mean life-changing like people who read Prayer of Jabez say their life is changed, then go on living the same way, but am actually a changed man for having read it). Also reading Time magazine, as always, and the newest issue of Mother Jones magazine. Oh, and I've been obsessively reading the prophets, for obvious reasons. All for now.

1 comment:

Charlie said...

Shalom Matt,
I feel for you man. I hope there's a light at the end of your tunnel very soon.

The "Prophet's walk-through" sounds very interesting, I'd love to hear about it sometime.

and kudos on getting an advanced copy of The Secret Message of Jesus, I just hope it's not as gnostic as it's title sounds. Of course it's not, I love Brian's stuff, but I did do a double take at the title when I heard that's what they were calling it.