Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Two Goals For Youth Ministry

I started this blog without mentioning youth ministry, but apparently it is sneaking in anyway. I have two goals that I believe all youth ministry should stem from. Maybe it doesn't even matter: most pastors read book after book and continue doing things the way they always have, but I'm going to say these and then see if I can follow all my youth ministry orthodoxy with orthopraxy in the year to come.

First, the youth pastor must make it his/her goal to lead students into the presence of the Triune God. This could seem obvious, yet it is rare I see it happen...in fact I've never been to a church service where I felt like I was being led into the presence of God. It is too New Agey for most believers to seek an experience of the living God. But I believe that is our call. How can we worship God unless we are drawing near and coming into relationship? The "faithful youth pastor" (see the earlier posting) then, is guiding students into God's presence. It is a ministry where we need crash helmets, as Annie Dillard mentioned, not because of cool, fun games, but because we are coming into contact with the God of the universe!

It is only after a student has experienced God in some way that they can then be sent out to be a blessing to the world around them. This is missional church, where we are blessed to be a blessing. It is the choice to have the incredible God over popularity, some friendships, etc. Most ministries talk about getting the cool kids (jocks, chearleaders, ASB presidents, etc), and using them to pull others in. I would rather take interested students, help them realize they are loved by God even while they become less cool at their schools. I would rather their life transformation be what draws other students in, not their looks, status, etc. I just don't think Jesus was very cool. I think I would rather have less growth, but be able to combine the small amount of growth with a larger amount of depth.

Peace,
Matt

Currently reading: A few articles on religious philosophy by Carl Raschke I found on the internet.

1 comment:

ronpie said...

What we can do is draw them in with popular music and then BAM!!! we hit them with the message-another soul saved for J.C.: the ultimate CEO