Thursday, May 26, 2005

The Mainstream...Please make it stop

The next time somebody says the word postmodern to me in church I'm afraid I may turn violent! Something good has become mainstream and now everybody has their opinion on it. People say they don't believe in it, as if they can simply ignore a cultural phenomenon, or others say they are thoroughly postmodern, as if it were a cool-kid-church-club you can join and now are able to swear, smoke and light candles in your ultra-cool trendy megachurch that has grabbed on to postmodernism as a new "growth engine." Are people stupid? Has the church lost its mind? Did it have one to begin with?

My advice (though nobody really reads this) is this: don't try to be postmodern, because you'll only look like a moron. If you want to understand what is going on in the surrounding culture, as well as within the theological community, I urge you to do so. Learn. Study. Make educated decisions. But don't make arrogant presumptions. The modern world is hopefully ending, and this is a good thing in many ways. The church was and continues to be too caught up in Modernism. Let's see if we can find a better route through the maze of postmodernism, engaging the culture without pretending we can turn our backs on it or selling our souls to it.

I am not postmodern. I am a Christ-follower in a post-modern world. Join me.

Peace,
Matt

Currently Reading: Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, you're so right. That's why I'm post-postmodern.

Everybody chant now: "PoPoMo is the Only Way to Go!"

ronpie said...

I'm a follower of the teachings of Jesus Christ, fundie.

Anonymous said...

Read Emmet Fox:The Sermon on The Mount.