Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Mega Church Ecclesiology

To be honest, I know nothing (yet) about this person or their blog, but I borrowed the link from Jordan Cooper and really enjoyed these questions concerning mega churches and their ecclesiology. Of course, the biggest problem typically seems to be that large churches don't really think theologically at all... Oops, did I say that out loud?

Peace,
Matt

Currently Reading: The Man Called Cash by Steven Turner. Funny how different a biography is from an autobiography. I love Cash, but apparently he had some memory lapses over certain details of his life in his autobiographies. Dan Allender once said that autobiography is the same as fiction, and I would have to agree. Billy Graham's autobiography would be included in that category as well, in my opinion.

3 comments:

John Santic said...

Matt,

Thanks for posting the link. I think the issue of ecclesiology and the move towards one missional in nature is an improtant dialogue to have with all churches, especially those that tend to get trapped in the consumeristic cycle.

thanks again,

John

Charlie said...

Hey Matt,
I'm on break between semesters and find myself catching up on months worth of blogs, I'm glad to see that you've been busy at work blogging.

I wonder if it's just megachurches that suffer from lack of theological thoughfulness though. It seems to me that many Protestant churches are driven by a ruthless pragmatism. Almost everything is done because it "works." Works at attracting new people, becoming more popular, being seen as "cutting-edge" almost anything other than faithfulness is brought to bear in the everyday decisions of churches.

How many churches have Starbucks now? What guided those decisions?

Charlie said...

Oh I fogot to mention... I'm curently reading The Man Comes Around: The Spiritual Journey of Johnny Cash and I'm loving it.