Thursday, October 26, 2006

Finding Truth in our Stories

This was a great quote in Alasdair MacIntyre's After Virtue that I think can really speak to the Christian life as well as life in general:

"Man is in his actions and practice, as well as in his fictions, essentially a story-telling animal. He is not essentially, but becomes through his history, a teller of stories that aspire to truth. But the key question for men is not about their own authorship; I can only answer the question 'What am I to do?' if I can answer the prior question 'Of what story or stories do I find myself a part?'"

I know I'm a decade (or even decades) late in announcing this sort of thing, but we still need to recognize that we are involved in a grand narrative written by God. We have to find our spot in a mixture of stories all corresponding in the here and now. I believe this includes everything from the garden in Genesis to the Reformation, from 1776 to 9/11. The difficulty is in bringing a plethora of stories together and trying to bring coherence to all of them. But I think the more stories we recognize and inhabit, the more we move into some form of truth. Then the question becomes 'how do we live in community with people who all live into many of the same stories, but also many different ones?'

Does that make sense? Any thoughts?

Peace,
Matt

Recently Read: John Adams by David McCullough and Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. Last night I read Chris Seay (and friends') new book The Dust off their Feet and found it to be a complete let down. I really don't even know what else to say about it.

Currently Reading: Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. I've also been slowly reading through Richard Foster's Prayers from the Heart which is a great prayer book!

No comments: