Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Latest Book

I just finished reading Return to Babel yesterday. The book puts out different passages of the Bible, each of which is then commented on by somebody from South/Latin America, Africa, and Asia. I mostly picked it up because Walter Brueggemann wrote a good review on the back (I know, I'm a sucker for the Bruegg), and because Elsa Tamez wrote two of the commentaries. But I would have to say that it really opened up some texts for me in ways that no Western scholar ever could! I read different theologians who talk about the ways we can open up scripture for one another and how amazing a global body of Christ is, but it's in reading a book like this that it becomes reality for me. I am energized to pray for my brothers and sisters throughout the world, and to learn and grow from their wisdom.

As a sidenote, I also learned too much about the IMF. I knew it was sketchy, and typically pride myself on knowing about these sorts of things, but one chapter in particular painted it from the perspective of an oppressed Latin American, and altered my thinking dramatically in the process. The rich are getting richer off of somebody...

Peace,
Matt

No comments: