Thursday, December 01, 2005

Advent

I am reading/praying through Phyllis Tickle's The Divine Hours this advent. My plan is to do this year round, but I decided to start during advent. I've never prayed the hours before, nor really celebrated advent, but I am very excited about both. At one time I thought that both were a joke, as they were not explicitly detailed in scripture, but God is opening my eyes to the wonders of our Christian tradition, which is excitingly rich, and to the fact that his Spirit did not stop inspiring people just because the Bible was done being written. I would highly recommend to everybody that they try something like this.

Peace,
Matt

Currently Reading: The two newest issues of Mother Jones (they put out two this month), the newest issue of Time (Effie got me a subscription), as well as Rudolfo Anaya's Bless Me Ultima, The Named God by Stan Grenz, and the Tickle book mentioned above. Happily busy this season!

1 comment:

ronpie said...

I'm glad that you lived to tell the story of the marathon. We are celebrating the advent the next few weekends at the club. A step toward the litugical, but I think that Christians today need to know the richness of thier religious past. Advent is a very easy way to do this because Christmas is such an easy thing to talk about, so leading up to it with the Season of Expectation to celebrate the first coming of the Lord is easy to relate to. Suck it