Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Relevancy

I was greatly challenged this week concerning my thoughts on relevancy. Like many church practitioners I have been attempting to share the gospel in a "relevant" way, which typically means playing songs or videos that relate to the culture, or using the popular lingo to talk about the gospel. I don't think any of this is wrong in and of itself, but I realized that there is a much bigger portion to relevancy that I have not fully put into practice.

The sort of relevancy I'm talking about is how the gospel relates to specific areas of our culture and media. What does the gospel deconstruct? What does it affirm? What sort of critique of modern culture does the gospel of Christ provide?

All of this is stuff that I have done, but never with this idea surrounding it. I think relevancy at this point becomes a question of "How does the culture line up with the gospel" rather than the slightly different but apparently much more followed question of "How does the gospel line up with the culture"?

Maybe all of this is just plain obvious to some, but it was eye-opening for me this week.

Peace,
Matt

Currently Reading: Six Degrees by Duncan J. Watts.

1 comment:

Knox said...

Pseudo!! What up dog?! I randomly came across your blog when I was looking for another friend's blog (also named matt)!! Crazy huh?! So whatchya up to now? Still at Cornwall?
Go to knoxthoughts.blogspot.com if you get a chance . . .
Hope all is well my friend.

knox